The North Canton Public Library will inspire the community to seek lifelong learning and enjoyment.
The library strives to fulfill this vision by providing diverse, quality programs, services and resources for everyone. We support relationships that empower individuals to pursue enlightenment and enhance knowledge.
The North Canton Public Library was founded in 1926, when the North Canton Library Association was established. We are an independent library system and not affiliated with the Stark County District Library System. The purpose of the North Canton Public Library is to serve the community, and to enhance the quality of life of our patrons. The library accomplishes this goal by selecting, maintaining, and making available resources that serve our patrons’ informational, recreational and cultural needs. The library wants to establish a life-long relationship with every person, from preschooler through senior citizen, and works to reflect the changing needs of our community in its collection.
1926 – The North Canton Library Association was established with a purpose of owning and maintaining a free library for the residents of North Canton and its school district.
January 27, 1928 – W.H. Hoover established a community building on Main Street and designated one room as a library. The population of served was 993 and the first year’s circulation was 12,911. The collection of books was 1,000.
May 1929 – An existing residence (larger space) was purchased to house the library, which began to exhibit artwork. The collection of books was 2,400, and circulation the second year was 14,000.
1935 – A larger location was needed, but was delayed because of World War II. Circulation had reached 49,254.
1947 – The library began to serve all of Stark County.
June 28, 1953 – The current building was opened, with an area designated to be the Little Art Gallery. This was the library’s 25th anniversary.
1966 – Harley Price, a Hoover employee, bequeathed funds for an addition to be named in honor of his wife, Mary Hoover Price, tripling the size of the library when the addition was completed in November 1969. The total increase in space was from 8,400 square feet to 23,000 square feet. Book capacity increased from 40,000 to 82,000.
1981 – Friends of the North Canton Public Library was formed.
1983 – Videos were added to circulation.
1988 – Circulation reached 250,304, and included books, periodicals, large-print books, audio and video cassettes.
1991 – The library initiated an online catalog system, one of the first in the area.
1996 – The children’s department underwent a major renovation. Total circulation reached 560,785.
1998 – The Helen Hoover Memorial Courtyard and Returning the Books sculpture were dedicated.
March 2001 – An addition added 7,000 square feet to the existing library. The three-story addition included new Audio-Visual and Fiction areas, a new art classroom, and new staff work areas as well as a new Magazine and Lounge area, new Circulation and Reference desks, a Young Adult corner, a new meeting room on the lower level, additional computers, handicapped accessible restrooms and elevator, and new ceilings, lighting and carpeting.
2009 – The most recent remodel was completed, including the children’s department.
2012 – Circulation was 963,981
April 2013 – In its 85th year of service, the library rebranded with current logo and “explore the world” tagline. New directional signage and marketing materials were added throughout the building. The new logo communicates all that we are today – a center for exploration. When you come through our doors, the world is here for you, just waiting to be explored.